Here are key things to look out for when selecting a dental implant practitioner.
Hold Relevant Accredited Qualifications
- Are they actually qualified to perform implants and the related adjunct surgeries?
- Are they willing to refer you to qualified specialists when needed?
- Do they stay current with their professional development?
- Dentists cannot market themselves as “implantologists” or “implant specialists.”
Solid Track Record
- Do they have a track record of placing implants?
- Or are they just learning to do it?
- Are they prepared to spend time with you answering your questions?
- Do they provide you with information you can use to make decisions?
- Are they happy for you to get a second opinion?
Acknowledge the Complexities
- Do they appreciate the complexity of implant procedures?
- Or do they dismiss it as “easy” and “simple”?
- Do they make decisions that take into account the long term goal of the implant and your needs?
Acknowledge the Risks
- Are they able, and willing to openly discuss risks with you?
- Or do they pretend there are no risks, or minimise your concerns?
Not Rushing or Selling Shortcuts
- Do they take the time to understand your needs, plan your treatment, check and recheck measurements?
- Or are they selling “cheap”, “fast” or “instant” implants?
- Do they give you time to consider your options?
- Or do they seem overly eager to just get on with performing procedures on you?
Employ Professional Facilities and Procedures
- Do they have the right facilities to perform implant and related surgeries?
- Or are they pressing general dental equipment into service?
- Do they short-cut potentially risky procedures such as NOT using a qualified anaesthetist to administer IV anaesthesia?
- Do they use articulators to communicate with dental laboratories?
- Do they use surgical guides to maximise success?
- Do they use up-to-date technologies like 3D imaging, visualisation and surgery planning software?
Use Quality Materials and Suppliers
- Do they use quality, clinically proven materials from leading manufacturers?
- Do they use certified and qualified dental laboratories and suppliers?